What I've Learned in 3 Years...

The Sweetheart Scarf. The scarf that started it all 3 years ago on Etsy.

Well, dear hearts, today is my 3 year Etsyversary. Three years on Etsy. It’s hard to believe! I’ve come a long way, baby. It has been a HUGE learning experience. I apologize for the caps, but I can’t begin to tell you how much I’ve learned as a result of Etsy. I love Etsy. Thanks to Etsy (and an insane amount of work), my life has changed immensely. My brain cells have multiplied too (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it). Three years ago, I never would have imagined my life today. A blog? Twitter? Over 800 Etsy sales? People all over the world wearing a Fringe creation, taking a little piece of me along with them on their journey. Impossible! Yet true. I have so many plans for the future of Fringe as well...

I would like to share some of the things I’ve learned in these past three Etsy-filled years. Everything I've listed are things I've learned from positive as well as negative experiences. It's a heartfelt, honest list which I hope will help you in some way. Also, please feel free to add to the list (I love lists!) if you like. I would just love to read anything you have to add.

Some of the things I’ve learned in the past 3 years on Etsy

1. How to work a camera and what makes a good photo.
2. How to edit a photo.
3. How to have an organized file system on the computer.
4. Take pride in your work, and remain true to yourself as an artist. Your work will be appreciated.
5. Don’t under price your work. Pay yourself for your time investment.
6. You can have very meaningful friendships online, even if you haven’t met in person.
7. The artistic community is filled with original artists that have exceptional skill and overwhelming kindness.
8. If you are original and successful, you will be copied. At least, there will be attempts to copy you. As my husband has said to me many times…"another one…baby, you’ve arrived”.
9. Following through with #8…copiers are not artists and are not original. They have no respect for art and lack the creativity and integrity needed to be truly successful. Therefore, they’re not worth your time.
10. Shipping is way easier if you print out your shipping labels at home. Endicia is invaluable during the busy holiday season. Oh my yes.
11. How to be somewhat computer/internet savvy.
12. As you grow as a person, your particular art form will grow as well. It can be a constant cycle of learning and growing.
13. You can be as successful as you wish. All it takes is a huge amount of work. There are no shortcuts.
14. Nothing beats being your own boss.
15. Blogs can be a fabulous venue for expressing yourself in any manner you wish.
16. The only road to success is the high road, and you can only get there through hard work.
17. Have confidence in yourself and never give up on your dream, your goals.
18. Only listen to those who give you positive input. Ignore the negative.
19. If the creative juices aren’t flowing, don’t try to force it. Just relax, they’ll come back when they’re good and ready to.

I’m sure I’ve forgotten many things. I may be adding to my list as I remember. I hope you know how much I appreciate all of the support I’ve received from you all. Thank you a thousand times over.


And thank you for visiting…xo

13 comments:

Ana said...

Congratulations on your success! Your hard work has definitely paid off, and you're an inspiration!

Dennice {Fringe} said...

Thank you so much, Ana. You are such a love.
xo

Brenda said...

What a wonderful post! And wise words, particularly about art and non-art. :) I'm so proud of you, your work and to call you friend. xoxo

Sherry said...

This is a beautiful post, and you deserve all your success. My husband too, deals with my copiers in a similar way. I have learned to let go of it a bit and the knot in my stomach has eased.

I didn't even know you when I purchased the snowy white version of this stunning scarf. It makes it all the more special now that we have become aquainted in cyberspace. I truly love wearing it.

xoSherry

Dennice {Fringe} said...

Brenda, thank you so much for your friendship and support! You have been there, always giving me positive encouragement. What a treasure you are...and so talented too!
xoxo

P.S. Art vs. Non-Art. Excellent title for a future post. :)

Dennice {Fringe} said...

Sweet Sherry, thank you so much for your meaningful words and compassion. I know you've had hard learning experiences too. I'm proud of you for being able to rise above it and not let it take over.

Thank you for appreciating my work. Both you and Brenda are not only extra special friends and artists, but very lovely clients as well.

xoxo

Unknown said...

Wow, three years! That's wonderful! Copy they may try but you'll always be the ORIGINAL. I can't tell you how happy I am that we found each other. You are truly an inspiration to me! It's so amazing to see want we can accomplish, isn't it? Congratulations sweet friend! xo Suz

Dennice {Fringe} said...

Thank you so much, Suz! You are such a dear, darling friend!

I can hardly believe it's been 3 years myself :) Amazing is right.

Thank you for being such a grand friend to me, you're support means so much. You inspire me too...

xoxo

Wild Woman Jewelry said...

congratulations sweet thing! your shop and attitude are an inspiration and i wish you much continued and expanding success!
xo karon

Dennice {Fringe} said...

Thank you so much for your kind and generous comment, darling friend! You don't know how much I appreciate it.

You made my day, Karon...Mwah!
xoxo

brock street said...

so proud of you! you did it and then some. our a true "estperation", i just made that up...or did i.
keep spreading the love of home made treasures.
we are so blessed.

Dennice {Fringe} said...

Darling dear bro, you are so good to me. I'm the luckiest girl in the world to have you as a brother. I'm very very proud of you and all of your amazing accomplishments.

I totally get "estperation". Etsy inspiration. Awesome and thank you!

mwah! xoxo (miss you tons...)

red ticking said...

brilliant post... i will check out your etsy stash.... have a great weekend x pam