Heavenly caramel sauce...

.

Happy Monday, dear friends! 
I hope your week is off to a super fantastic start.

I had mentioned my newest addiction in a previous post:
Plain yogurt, homemade caramel sauce and fresh sliced berries. 
A request for the caramel recipe was made by one of my sweet friends. 
So here it is. 
The recipe is from the very talented Ina Garten
I have made a couple of slight changes which I will mark with * and **.

~



Caramel Sauce Recipe

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/3 cup water

1 1/4 cups heavy cream

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


Mix the water and sugar in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over *high heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until the sugar dissolves. Do not stir. Boil uncovered until the sugar turns a warm chestnut brown (about 350 degrees F on a candy thermometer), about 5 to 7 minutes, gently swirling the pan to stir the mixture. Be careful – the mixture is extremely hot! Watch the mixture very carefully at the end, as it will go from caramel to burnt very quickly. Turn off the heat. Stand back to avoid splattering and slowly add the cream and vanilla. Don't worry - the cream will bubble violently and the caramel will solidify.

Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until the caramel dissolves and the sauce is smooth **and is a rich caramel brown, about 2 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature, at least 4 hours. It will thicken as it sits.

* I have found that starting with high heat works best for me (and my gas stove).  You may have to experiment to get it just right for you.  Ina's recipe suggests starting on low heat and working up to medium.

** Go by the color of the caramel, not the time, when deciding it's done.


There you have it! 
It's so simple to make. 
The directions may sound a tad complex,
but once you make this sauce, you'll discover it's quite easy. 
I hope you give this one a try. 
It's excellent on ice cream, cake, yogurt...you get the idea...it's scrumptious!

Thank you so much for stopping by!
I hope your day is as sweet and smooth
as this caramel sauce recipe...

xo



.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh gosh i just went shopping and i have only half n half! i want to make this for the fresh berries i just bought! thanks for sharing!! xo suz

24 Corners said...

Thank you!!! It will be a treat to try this...anything Ina concocts is always yummy...and kudos to you for trying this one...for some reason burning (I mean browning) sugar (and using yeast) has always made me nervous! Time to just go for it!
xoxo J~